Building Homes of Our Own
Building Homes of Our Own lets students collect information, solve problems, and make real-world choices as "virtual" builders.
- Plan expenditures and check progress against a budget spreadsheet.
- Conduct research in the library and study 3D animations in the lab.
- Survey lots, address lot challenges and apply for permits.
- Design floor plans and research and select building materials.
- Interact with 3D animated community members and industry experts.
- Write ads, review credit applications and sell to the buyer of choice.
A comprehensive Teacher's Guide, with lesson plans and discussion topics, is included on the CD.
The program is part of the National Association of Home Builders' (NAHB) ongoing educational outreach initiative. It was produced in partnership with the National Endowment and Freddie Mac, whose support made this program possible.