PMP Exam Preparation
Before taking the PMP Certification Exam, learn the different PMP prep options available for you to pass on the first try!
What is PMP Exam Prep?
Since you’ve made the investment to earn the Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification, it’s time to make the commitment to prepare for the exam. Regardless of how advanced your project management experience or education might be, you should still prepare vigorously for the exam. PMP Prep consists of multiple available resources either through a class, self-research, or a study group to prepare you for the PMI PMP Certification Exam.
It is highly recommended that PMP candidates invest in PMP Prep. Most successful PMP candidates spend an average of 35 hours or more preparing for the exam. This is because the PMI PMP exam is the world’s leading project management certification consisting of 180 multiple choice questions that prove you have the leadership experience and expertise in Project Management. The best way to ensure that you will qualify and pass the exam is to prepare for it.
PMP Exam Prep Options
Based on how you learn, there are multiple resources available to you. The goal is to help you find the best fit for your learning style and schedule. PMI recommends working with either Authorized Training Partners (ATPs) or the PMI® Authorized On-demand PMP® Exam Prep course. PMI Authorized Training Partners are organizations aligned with PMI that have successfully completed a PMI Authorized Training Partner Train the Trainer – PMP Exam Prep® Program and whose instructors use PMI-developed training course content. The PMI® Authorized On-demand PMP® Exam Prep course is an online, self-paced prep course designed to help you prepare for the PMP Certification Exam on your terms. Understanding the differences in these resources can help you decide which option is best for you.
1. Authorized Training Partners (ATPs)
The PMI Authorized Training Partners program is designed to help you find high-quality training for the PMP Certification exam through organizations that are aligned with our vision and values. Each Authorized Training Partner has completed the PMI Authorized Training Partner Train the Trainer – PMP Exam Prep Program and uses PMI-developed training course content. This ensures that each PMP candidate is gaining the same valuable information across all partners. The course aligns with the PMP Exam Content Outline and satisfies the 35 training hours required to apply for the PMP® certification.
Top Reasons to Work with an Authorized Training Partner:
- Working with an Instructor: Authorized Training Partner instructors are valid PMP® certification holders and are required to be current on learning methods and continually enhance their skills.
- Study Group: Meet a group of peers who are looking to achieve the same goal as you.
- Structure: Authorized Training Partners meet during specific times. Find a program that works for you and hold yourself accountable to attend all the sessions.
- Instructor-led: If you learn better through discussion and dialogue and want to ask questions then this learning option may be a good choice for you.
2. PMI® Authorized On-demand PMP® Exam Prep
The PMI® Authorized On-demand PMP® Exam Prep was developed PMI and validated by PMP® certification holders. It is a self-paced, online course that will help you to advance your project management skills and prepare for the Project Management Professionals (PMP®) certification exam. Additionally, it satisfies the 35 training hours required to apply for the PMP Certifications. The course focuses on real-world scenarios from various industries to help you apply principles and concepts.
Top Reasons to take the PMI® Authorized On-demand PMP® Exam Prep
- Set your own study schedule: The On-demand PMP Prep course is structured to be self-paced, so you can take this course as it fits to your schedule.
- 35 Training Hours: This course will satisfy the 35 training hours required to apply for the PMP Certification
- Self-Study: If you work better on your own or just need a refresher, this course is the perfect option for you!
3. Boost Your PMP Prep Plan with PMI Study Hall
A desktop and mobile app that helps take the stress out of PMP exam day.
Practice questions, quizzes and full practice exams build your confidence. Lessons, games and a performance tracker all help you understand your strengths and weaknesses – and where to focus your studies.
If you want a second chance to practice for the exam, PMI offers a PMP Practice Exam to ensure that you are truly ready for the PMP Certification. This practice exam is in the same format as the PMP Certification, so it is the best way to gauge how you will do on the real exam. It was created to test your knowledge and simulate the real test. Take the practice exam today to see if you are ready for the PMP Certification exam.
*These questions are also included as part of the PMI® Authorized On-Demand PMP® Exam Prep course and may be similar to practice questions available through some Authorized Training Partners. Questions are for practice only and do not guarantee to pass the PMP® exam. Available in English only.
With each of these different opportunities and resources available, PMI is positive that if you follow these accordingly you can set yourself up to be successful on the PMP Certification.
Resources and Tips to Prepare for the Updated Exam
- Make sure you have everything you need to apply with this Application Checklist.
- Review the PMP Handbook.
- Enroll in a formal study course offered by PMI chapters or accredited Authorized Training Partners. You can also review self-study books published by other reputable training organizations.
- Review any other questions on our Certifications Q&A page.
- Review the translated 2021 PMP Exam Content Outlines below:
PMP Exam Content Outline