Useful Information for Scheduling and Taking Your CAPM® Exam
Online proctored exams allow you to conveniently and easily take an exam in the comfort of your home or office while being monitored by an offsite proctor. Watch to learn more about CAPM’s online proctored candidate experience.
Important: Please review the minimum system requirements and run system test and exam simulation before scheduling for the exam. If you schedule an online proctored exam and your computer equipment does not meet the requirements, you are unlikely to receive a refund. If your computer does not meet these requirements, please schedule to take the exam at the test center.
How do I know if an online proctored exam is right for me?
Start by ensuring your computer meets our requirements by completing the required system test. We also strongly recommend you review the CAPM Online Proctoring video before you decide to take the online proctored exam. If you have any doubts or reservations, we recommend that you schedule your exam at a test center.
What certifications are available for online proctored exam?
CAPM certification is the only PMI certification available for online proctored exam.
In what languages are the exams available?
CAPM exams are translated into multiple languages. Please consult the CAPM handbook or details on specific languages available. Please note that although the exams are available in multiple languages, the proctoring software, greeter support, and proctor support are only available in English.
Where can I take my CAPM exam?
You can take your proctored exam online at home or in your office, using your own desktop or laptop computer; or at a Pearson VUE testing center.
When can I schedule my CAPM exam?
Online proctored exams are able to be scheduled online 24/7, and exam appointments are offered Tuesday – Saturday every week.
What if I have special needs that require an accommodation to be provided?
If you require test accommodations in order to take your exam, you must apply for these and receive approval from PMI before scheduling your exam. You will need to take the exam in a test center.
How do I schedule for CAPM online proctored exam?
Before you can schedule your exam you must submit your application payment. Once payment is received, you will then be eligible to schedule your online proctored exam. Log in to PMI.org and navigate to “Review Application Status” under myPMI. Click "Schedule Exam". You will be directed to schedule your online proctored exam through Pearson VUE.
Is the CAPM online proctored exam more difficult than the exam delivered at the test center?
No, it does not matter what format the exam is taken in – via online, or at a test center; all of the versions are designed with items based on the same Exam Content Outline (ECO) that is found listed on the CAPM certification page of PMI’s website. Additionally, all forms of the exam are calibrated to ensure that the level of difficulty between each form is equivalent.
What type of computer do I need to take the online proctored exam?
Most recent Windows and mac OS computers (excluding tablets) are supported. We recommend that you review the system requirements and run the exam simulation before you pay and schedule for your exams. You'll have the opportunity to download a small test app to verify that your computer, microphone, webcam and internet connection are ready for you to take your exam.
Can I still take the online proctored exam if my computer does not pass the system test?
No. You should not choose online proctored delivery if your system does not pass the system test, including ensuring that you can take a clear photo of your identification.
Exam Day Requirements
How do I start my CAPM online proctored exam after I scheduled the exam?
To start your exam, log in to PMI.org and navigate to “Review Application Status” under myPMI. The “Begin Exam” link will be available 30 minutes before your scheduled exam time. You will be redirected to a Pearson VUE page where you will see the exam you scheduled under Open Online Exams. Select CAPM to proceed.
You can begin your exam process promptly at your scheduled appointment time. You will be able to begin your testing session up to 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. You will not be permitted to begin the exam process more than 15 minutes after your appointment time.
What is the check-in process for the online proctored exam?
The launch and check-in process should take approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Make sure that your browser pop-up blockers are turned off.
- Be sure that you have administrative rights on your computer so that you can download the software.
- You will be asked to run the system test again, including a webcam, microphone and internet connection check.
- Please note you may wait up to five minutes before connecting with a greeter.
After connecting with your greeter:
- Have your driver’s license, passport, or other acceptable identification available so that your identity can be verified.
- Testing behavior/conduct, testing environment (work-area scan), and communication process during exam delivery are reviewed. All communication with the greeter and proctor is conducted in English.
- You will be asked to shut down any non‐essential applications (such as email or chat).
After this process is complete, the exam begins. Your proctor will not contact you during the exam unless there is an issue. If there is a technical issue during exam delivery, the proctor first attempts to contact you via chat. If that doesn’t work, the proctor contacts you by phone. If there is an issue after exam delivery, contact Pearson VUE. Please have the Incident Report number provided by your proctor available.
What type of identification is required during the check-in process?
You are required to present a current, government-issued form of ID. The name on your ID must match the name in your CAPM Application. Acceptable forms of identification include: Driver’s license, military ID, national identification card, passport, and alien registration card (green card, permanent resident, and visa). The form must collectively contain both a photo and signature of the test candidate. For more information reference CAPM handbook.
If you’re currently in the process of updating or renewing your identification, please note that legal name change forms, including ID renewal forms, cannot be accepted for online proctored delivery.
What is a work-area scan?
During the check-in, the Proctor will ask to see your environment to ensure you have a clean desktop and you are not within arm’s reach of books, notepads, post-it notes, papers, pens, pencils or other writing instruments/objects. To complete the required work-area scan, the Proctor will ask you to take a step back and use your webcam to slowly scan your work area including walls, floor space and the desktop. Additional monitors must be unplugged and computers must be turned off. Items on the wall such as wall art, posters and whiteboards will be inspected. If you are unable to complete a room scan, you are not permitted to proceed further or to take the exam.
Will I be able to access the internet while taking my exams?
Your computer will be locked down once you start your exam. You will not be able to access the internet or use other software applications while taking an exam.
Will I be able to use my phone while taking my exams?
You should prepare to be unreachable by phone while taking your exams. Mobile phones and other electronic devices must be turned off or muted and stored with your other personal items out of reach.
How do I communicate with a Proctor?
Depending on your preference, a Proctor will call you on your phone or through your microphone and speakers (required) on your computer using the PVProctor software once you are in the check-in process. You will also be able to communicate with a Proctor via chat. All communication with the Proctor is conducted in English.
Will I be able to eat, drink or take a break during the exam?
Breaks are not allowed during the exam for any reason and leaving your desk will invalidate your score. Eating, drinking, smoking, and chewing gum are prohibited during the exam.
Can I receive any assistance during the exam?
You may not receive any assistance from other individuals while taking the exam. If a third party enters the room during the testing process, your exam will be terminated. The Proctor cannot answer questions related to exam content.
Is technical software assistance available during the exam?
If there is a technical software issue during exam delivery, the Proctor will contact you via phone or through your microphone and speakers (required) on your computer using the PVProctor software. If there is an issue after exam delivery, please contact Pearson VUE and have the Incident Report number provided by your Proctor available.
What are the exam rules on personal belongings?
The rules related to personal belongings while taking the exam are as follows:
- During the exam, you may not access the following types of personal items: hand-held computers or other electronic devices, pagers, watches, wallets, purses, hats (or other head coverings), bags, coats, books, notes, or any other materials not specifically approved.
- If you are wearing long sleeves, you are asked to roll up your sleeves to show that there is no writing on your arms.
- Watches must be removed and placed out of sight and out of reach during the exam.
- If you are wearing a tie, you are asked to lift the tie to show the Proctor that nothing is hidden under the tie.
- If you have long hair that covers your ears, you are asked to pull your hair back to show the Proctor that there is nothing attached to your ear.
What other important information do I need to know?
Please take note of this additional information about taking your exam:
- Once you begin testing, you will not be able to leave the room or move out of the view of the Proctor once the exam begins.
- By taking this exam, you acknowledge that the Proctor will continuously monitor you by video and audio while you take your exam, and you acknowledge and consent to audio and video recording of your face, voice, the physical room where you are seated, and the location during exam delivery. You recognize that you have no right to privacy at your current location during exam delivery and that you waive any and all claims asserting a right to privacy. If you do not wish to be recorded (either by video or audio), please notify the proctor immediately of your intent not to proceed with the exam.
- If you do not follow the online proctored policies, are suspected of cheating or tampering with Pearson VUE’s or its subcontractor’s software, or if a third party is detected in the physical room where you are seated during the exam, the exam is immediately terminated. The incident is then reported to Pearson VUE and PMI, along with audio and/or video evidence of the infraction. Your exam may be invalidated, and PMI may take other action, such as revoking your existing certification and precluding all future participation in the PMI certification program.