Why This is Important
There are several reasons why this process goal is important:
- There is a lot to consider when you’re building an awesome team. Awesome teams are comprised of the right mix of people, with the requisite skills, with an open and safe culture, collaborating and learning together, and enabled to do so by the organizational ecosystem in which they work.
- We need time to build an awesome team. We need to get started as soon as we can so that we can start inviting the right people to join the team as they become available. The mix of skills and collaborative style will evolve as we do so, and people will come in and out of the team as it evolves to meet the context of the situation that it faces.
- The people on the team, and the way we work together, will be the primary determinant of success. The first value of the Agile Manifesto says it best—individuals and interactions over processes and tools.
- You will need to decide whether your new initiative can be given to an existing team, or to evolve an existing team or create a new one.
- You will need to appropriately size the teams and decide what type of work they are best suited for.
- How whole are your teams and what is the strategy for accessing skills or responsibilities not held within the team?
- You should strive for dedicated team members and if not, then understand the cost of this decision.
- Your teaming strategies will vary based upon your enterprise realities such as outsourcing, distribution, and time zones.
- You should consider strategies for adequate training, mentoring, coaching, and obtaining access to stakeholders.
- Who is responsible for evolving the team, and how will they do so?