NEW! Making Governance Work: The Gold Standard Technique in Major Projects with Oscar Wasilik
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of this training, learners will be able to:
- Apply the Gold Standard Technique in adaptive governance—built from successful frameworks used by project management offices (PMOs) in the corporate, government, and NGO sectors around the world, as well as acquire world-leading clarity in what governance is and how it may be practically applied to achieve success in stakeholder and PMO main goals.
- Employ cutting-edge conflict resolution systems and risk management approaches that stem organically from adaptive governance strategies.
- Measure and improve their personal and PMO’s Adaptability Index using proven, world-renowned governance exercises and key performance indicators (KPIs).
Train to think like a CEO. Unprecedented challenges face today’s project managers. How do you construct a sustainable governance structure to address the many changes of modern projects? This training introduces the Gold Standard Technique of adaptive governance to address today’s chaotic challenges. Governance is often thought of as a slow-moving aspect of modern project management. Unfortunately, this understanding is outdated and superseded with adaptive governance aspects. How can governance be a project’s major strength? Learn the secrets of leading high-performance PMOs, CEOs, and Nobel Prize-winning economists in next-generation adaptive governance approaches. This training is unique in that it addresses the specific challenges with government, corporate, and NGO projects and programs in a delineated way for each project sector. Unique challenges for government, corporate, and NGO governance domains are addressed with practical, takeaway solutions.
This training will shed light on formulas for proven adaptive strategies and tactics in large-scale projects within all sectors. You will be coached on known security, conflict, risk, and stakeholder challenges. Further PMO-improving insights will show how simple and quick adaptive governance changes can lead to better conflict resolution, risk management, and benefits realization. You will be empowered with the knowledge for nudging and influencing governance rapidly, even when you have no formal authority within the PMO organization.
This training will provide tools to build a resilient and adaptive governance framework for any project. The practical Gold Standard Technique in adaptive governance will outline the leading-edge approaches to enhance your PMO’s resilience to change. Case studies and breakout groups will provide key takeaways that can be used the next day to improve your project at any level and stage. Leading PMOs around the world have shared their techniques for influencing governance when you have no formal power to do so. See how to unlock your existing organizational value and address complexity head-on with less effort than you ever thought possible.
Theme: Introducing Governance and Adaptability Metrics and Concepts
- How are a government, corporate, and NGO PMOs unique? And what are their main challenges? Articulate and define the DNA of PMO governance, both shared and distinctive.
- Recognize and categorize specific elements of governmental, corporate, and NGO organizational value.
- Identify the key stakeholders and their expectations to be responsible, accountable, consulted, and informed.
- Learn what strategy, tactics, and governance are and how these apply to major projects during planning and implementation.
- Collect the 12 specifically identified stakeholder groups impacted by governance and infer their viewpoints to enhance conflict resolution:
- Procurement/contracts team
- Middle management
- Public-facing parties
- Subject matter experts (SMEs)
- Operational team
- Legal counsel
- Project delivery group
- Close of project stakeholders
- Recognize the governance differences inherent in major, bespoke projects (+US$100 million) versus recurring, operational projects. Use these differences to your advantage by charting roadmaps of possible roadblocks and alternate routes to guide your PMO.
- Identify the five key elements of governance-led benefits realization in major projects.
- Learn the distinctive risk factors and success mechanisms in major projects. Different viewpoints of project success.
- Appreciate the differences in project approaches around the world.
- Find out why governance complexity can lead to conflict and bottlenecks.
- Learn about examples of navigating governance complexity with successful and practical tools (case study, breakout group simulations).
- Organize and demonstrate three effective conflict resolution formulas.
- Measure your resilience to change and identify how this impacts your PMO’s abilities to execute.
- Measure your personal and PMO Adaptability Index and use class exercises to improve this key metric. Use the Adaptability Index in simulations to build adaptive governance in the individual and organizational domains.
- Decode basic governance using the Nobel Prize-winning principal-agent model and extend to adaptive governance practical tools and tips.
Theme: The Gold Standard Technique: Adaptive Governance
- Learn the seven success strategies for adaptive governance implementation.
- Find out how to work within rigid requirements, while maintaining PMO agility.
- See how modern adaptive projects leverage stakeholders to respond to change.
- View the project life cycle through the lens of the PMI framework and see where common bottlenecks lead to suboptimal project performance.
- Learn to assess what factors are within and out of your PMO’s locus of control. Case studies show how the best PMOs address these factors using indirect versus direct influence.
- Practice creating a sense of urgency at every level of the project pipeline (in breakout groups).
- Identify the main goal of a government project within the framework of public accountability and transparency.
- Find out why locating the main goal for stakeholders is important for marshalling the limited resources in major projects.
- Simulate applying adaptive governance formulas for each of the seven business cases (above) and see how they work at an individual level.
- Learn how to leverage active listening to win over blockers and bottlenecks.
- Identify how to lead by example within an adaptive framework (using one case study).
- Assess the risk factors in implementing adaptive governance in your own PMO.
- Illustrate security concerns with PMOs using risk mitigation tactics for the most common challenges.
- Review typical issues and roadblocks stalling governance changes in major projects.
- Summarize current thinking and approaches toward collaborative networks and adaptive governance.
- Compare agile and adaptive governance frameworks and how both can strengthen the resilience of a PMO and project (via one case study).
Theme: Practice the Gold Standard Technique
- Practice the Gold Standard Technique in adaptive governance by formulating plans, strategies, and tactics and applying these frameworks to your own projects and PMOs.
- Gain insight into the impacts and research of human recognition and consequential performance boosts.
- See the person behind the machine—learn emotional quotient (EQ) techniques for PMO environments where project tools are limited.
- Find out why respecting governance rules leads to sustainable PMO value.
- See how adaptive governance offers solutions to identifying and responding to risks, major program complexity, and goal incongruence.
- Learn how to apply governance in a comprehensive approach focusing on benefits realization and PMO results.
- Practice the techniques for applying governance approaches.
- Learn the secrets of successful governance frameworks that are resilient to changing factors (remote work, reallocation of resources, for example).
- Identify the key hallmarks of benefits realization management and how they dovetail with adaptive governance.
PDU Allocation Table
|Ways of Working||Power Skills||Business Acumen||Total|
|CAPM® / PMP® / PgMP®||0||7||0||7.00|
|PMI-ACP® / Agile*||0||7||0||7.00|