Next-Generation PMO and Portfolio Management: Building and Transforming the PMO for Today’s Dynamic and Uncertain Environment with Jack Duggal
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of this training, learners will be able to:
- Reevaluate, rethink, and reframe their PMO and portfolio management practices to prepare for the new normal in their business and organization.
- Decode and review the seven core elements and building blocks necessary for a successful PMO based on lessons from leading PMOs around the world.
- Identify the necessary elements to transform PMOs into an agile and adaptive PMOs to support and integrate appropriate adaptive or hybrid practices.
How do you build and sustain a project management office (PMO) for today’s disruptive world? How do you enhance strategic execution capabilities? How do you transform your PMO to the next level? How do you provide sustainable PMO value and results? This training is designed to address these questions and more with real-world PMO and portfolio management practice and experience from leading PMOs worldwide.
In addition to learning the foundational elements and DNA of a PMO, this training will outline the steps necessary to bring your PMO to the next level. You will gain new perspectives on project management and PMOs for today’s turbulent business environment. Find out how to build strategic execution capabilities while balancing the need for governance and discipline with responsiveness and agility. You will also learn how to apply next-generation approaches to transform your PMO to an adaptive and agile PMO, as appropriate for your organization.
This training will focus on creating the right environment for portfolio management by providing a framework for project selection, prioritization, oversight, and governance. Every organization is unique, and this engaging training will provide a framework that can help you assess your organizational environment and culture as well as chart an appropriate roadmap to evolve your PMO and portfolio. You will also learn how to measure PMO value and customer satisfaction with a PMO Delight Index (PDI).
Additional PDU-Earning Opportunities
In addition to receiving 21 professional development units (PDUs) for attending this training, you will also get an opportunity to earn additional PDUs for participating in post-course application work (optional) that can be self-reported. You will get more details from your instructor on how to participate in this program during the training.
- Why do we need a PMO? How can we articulate the need for a PMO?
- Define PMOs and what the purpose of the PMO should be.
- Decode and review the seven elements of the DNA of strategy execution and successful PMOs.
- Learn how to assess your organization along the PMO maturity continuum.
- Discover how to chart a PMO roadmap that is geared for your particular organizational context.
- Find out what type of PMO framework/model is best suited for your organization.
- Identify key PMO disconnects, issues, and challenges.
- Find out why and how PMOs fail.
- Learn how to recognize the increasing DANCE (Dynamic – Ambiguous – Nonlinear – Complex – Emergent) of today’s environment and how it impacts the PMO.
- Find out why there is a need to rethink and reevaluate management and PMO strategies for today’s increasingly uncertain environment, especially with the impact of the pandemic.
- See why it is imperative to distinguish between traditional and next-generation approaches and identify the necessary approaches to transform your PMO to an agile and adaptive PMO.
- Gain insight into what the next-generation PMO is and how to build and transform it.
- Learn about the seven keys to a successful PMO.
- Find out how to get a better understanding of what the PMO stakeholders want.
- Find a balance between the need for rigor, without the rigidity.
- Learn how to assess your PMO annoyance factor.
- Gain insight into what an agile or adaptive PMO is and how the PMO can support and enable agile.
- Learn about the PMO life cycle and its foundational aspects of designing, building, or transforming PMOs.
- Learn how to determine the appropriate PMO strategy, tactics, and governance for your environment and discuss the PMO life cycle.
- Find out why you need a business model for the PMO and see how to build and align a business case for it.
- See why it is important to have a mission and purpose for the PMO and how you can facilitate and develop it.
- Learn how to identify key PMO customers and stakeholders and their wants and needs.
- Discover how to gain greater buy-in and support for the PMO, and learn how to win over barriers and blockers.
- Learn what the appropriate structure of your PMO should be.
- Learn about the functions of the PMO and how to create/adapt a service catalog for it.
- Discover how to assess resource management, staffing, and budget needs for the PMO.
- Gain insight into what the key deliverables of the PMO should be in the next 6 months.
- Learn how to implement project management communities of practice (CoPs) for ongoing PMO development and fostering a knowledge-sharing and collaborative project culture.
- Gain insight into choosing a good governance framework for the PMO.
- Find out how to assess, review, select, and implement appropriate project portfolio management (PPM)/PMO tools.
- Learn about what strategy is and how it is the core element of the DNA of the PMO and portfolio management.
- Find out what portfolio management is and how to define/adapt a portfolio management process.
- Learn about effective models, techniques, and tools for project classification, selection, and prioritization.
- Discover how to define, align, manage, optimize, and balance the portfolio and the associated governance, benefits, and challenges of portfolio management.
- Learn about typical portfolio management issues and challenges.
- Find out how to develop a comprehensive approach to PMO measurement and metrics focusing on results and PMO value.
- Learn how to define and measure PMO value.
- See how to decode and develop the measurement aspect of the PMO’s DNA.
- Find out why it is so hard to measure and show PMO value.
- Learn what value is and how to plan for PMO measurement and value.
- Learn the formula for stakeholder satisfaction.
- See how to select the right measures and decide what should be part of your PMO scorecard.
- Find out why it is crucial for the PMO to understand change and how organizational change management is a key element of the PMO’s
- DNA and is necessary for its successful implementation.
- Learn how to develop a PMO change management approach and overall change intelligence (CQ) for your organization.
- Gain insight into next-generation approaches in communications, culture, political, and leadership strategies for successful PMOs.
- Find out how to effectively market, sell, and communicate about your PMO.
- Learn how to embed learning into the PMO’s DNA and how to conduct next-generation lessons learned that are effective and impactful.
- Discover how to plan and conduct effective PMO retrospectives.
- Learn how to avoid pitfalls when implementing and sustaining agile PMOs and portfolio management practices.
- See how to chart a personalized application action plan suited to your organization’s needs.
- Learn the secrets of successful PMOs.
The most engaging and informative course I have attended at any PMI event.
June 2023 Attendee
Instructor is extremely knowledgeable and has provided great real world examples of how to apply the concepts and tools.
June 2023 Attendee
PDU Allocation Table
|Ways of Working||Power Skills||Business Acumen||Total|
|CAPM® / PMI-CP™ / PMP® / PgMP®||7||7||7||21.00|
|PMI-ACP® / Agile*||0||7||7||14.00|