Strategic Project-Portfolio Management and Organizational Change with Joyce Brown and Thomas McCabe
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of this training, learners will be able to:
- Identify the principles of strategic planning and establishing goals and objectives.
- Define and describe business case components and key financial formulas.
- Create and maintain a balanced project portfolio.
Project portfolio management is a critical topic in today’s ever-changing business environment. Once an organization defines strategic goals and objectives, determining the optimal mix of initiatives to fund and resource can be a difficult process. The key challenge is to select the potential projects or programs that bring the most value: some transformative, some growth-oriented, some compliance, and others nondiscretionary.
This 3-day training begins with a discussion of organizational project management and how mature organizations create vision and mission statements linked to strategies, goals, and objectives. The training will review change life cycles and walk through a change-readiness assessment. Discussions center on the ways that practitioners can better leverage the change management practices that are inherently embedded within project, program, and portfolio management.
A review of business case development follows, and discussion topics include: the estimating process, the role of assumptions and risks, types of benefits, and financial analysis techniques, such as return on investment (ROI), net present value (NPV), internal rate of return (IRR), etc. A multipart case study and group exercises will demonstrate key issues and concepts. Techniques for creating a balanced and optimized project-portfolio mix will be demonstrated. Training will include a review of portfolio performance, stakeholder engagement, communications management, and the role of the project management office (PMO) in validating benefits realization.
- Organizational Project Management (OPM)
- Products, Portfolios, Programs & Projects
- Organizational Change Models
- Change Life Cycle
- Change Readiness Assessment
- Organizational Strategy, Goals, Objectives & Outcomes
- Strategic Planning
- Gap Analysis
- SWOT & TOWS
- Balanced Scorecard
- Other Tools & Techniques
- Business Case Principles
- OPEX, CAPEX, and FTE Budgeting
- PMI Global Standards and the Role of Project
- Strategic Planning
- Optimizing the Product-Portfolio Mix
- Portfolio Life Cycle
- Stakeholder Management and Communications
- Benefits Realization Management
- Differing Risk Perspectives: Portfolios vs. Programs vs. Projects
- Program Management and Performance Tracking
- Role of the PMO in Validating Benefits Realization
- Wrap-up, Key Takeaways and Staying in Touch…
PDU Allocation Table
|Ways of Working||Power Skills||Business Acumen||Total|
|CAPM® / PMI-CP™ / PMP® / PgMP®||9||7||5||21.00|
|PMI-ACP® / Agile*||0||7||5||12.00|