How to Think Strategically and Apply Business Acumen with Greg Githens
DescriptionTopics: Strategic Planning and Implementation | Leadership Development | Complexity
Research shows that the next generation of leaders must be able to:
- Think strategically
- Understand their specific business model
- Drive change
The emergence of a pandemic clearly shows the brittleness of conventional concepts like vision, alignment, lean operations, and planning. People who can think strategically are sometimes surprised by timing of events like pandemics. However, they have more keenly developed tools of anticipation that sensitize them to weak signal in the external environment and the implications for the future.
This seminar is for anybody who wants a better understanding of competent strategic thinking. It will help you work more effectively with strategy formulation and implementation concepts, showing you pathways for acquiring new mindsets and tools. The intent is to provide lasting career benefits.
In addition, the seminar will introduce you to global thought leaders on pandemic readiness and crisis recovery. The seminar format stresses interactive discussion of real-world examples and applications, including:
- The four pillars and the four X-factors of strategic thinking
- The criteria for competence in strategic thinking
- What good strategy is and isn't (it's not goal setting and is seldom found in a strategic plan)
- The strategy development funnel
- The role of sensing and sense making of weak signals in the strategic environment of VUCA (Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, and Ambiguity).
- How to identify and generate strategic insights.
- How to map a business model and understand how process-oriented functions (for example, PMOs, HR, IT) contribute to the value proposition
- Practical approaches to be more proactive
- Tips for being an extra-ordinary leader of strategic change and ""move the needle"".
- The intersections of strategic thinking, agility, resilience, and design thinking
- Your personal development plan
Pre-Work: 1.0 hours.
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Work more effectively with executives
- Describe how strategic thinking differs from operational thinking
- Understand the parts of your business and how it creates value
- Practice and improve the microskills needed to be a competent strategic thinker
- Anticipate future conditions that affect your industry and profession
- Drive change, including organizational pivots
PDU Allocation Table