Strategic Project- Portfolio Management: Practical Application of the Standard
DescriptionTopics: Benefits Realization | Portfolio Management | Strategic Planning and Implementation
Project-portfolio management is a critical topic in today's ever-changing business environment. Once an organization defines strategic goals and objectives, determining the optimal mix of initiatives to fund and resource can be a difficult process. The key challenge is to select the potential projects or programs that bring the most value: some transformative, some growth-oriented, some compliance and others non-discretionary.
This 2-day course begins with a discussion of Organizational Project Management (OPM) and how mature organizations create vision & mission statements linked to strategies, goals & objectives. The class goes on to review change life cycles, and will walk through a change readiness assessment. Discussions will center on the ways that practitioners can better leverage the change management practices that are inherently embedded within project, program and portfolio management.
A review of business case development follows. Discussion topics include: the estimating process; the role of assumptions and risks; types of benefits; and financial analysis techniques such as ROI, NPV, IRR, etc.
A multi-part case study and group exercises will demonstrate key issues and concepts. Techniques for creating a balanced and optimized project-portfolio mix will be demonstrated. Coursework will include a review of portfolio performance, stakeholder engagement, communications management, and the role of the PMO in validating benefits realization.
Note: Seminar participants will receive a copy of PMI's The Standard for Portfolio Management—Fourth Edition.
THE COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
- Business Case Principles
- Change Life Cycle
- Change Readiness Assessment
- External and Internal Drivers of Change
- Financial Analysis Techniques—Case Study
- HBR – ROI Spreadsheets
- OPEX and CAPEX Budgeting
- Optimizing the Project-Portfolio Mix
- Organizational Project Management (OPM)
- Organizational Strategy, Goals and Objectives
- Overview of Project-Portfolio Management (PPM) Software
- Portfolio Performance Management and Communications
- Strategic Planning Tools – Balanced Scorecard, Gap Analysis, etc.
- SWOT to TOWS
- The PMI Global Standard and the Role of Portfolio Management
- The Role of the PMO
What You Will Learn
- Identify principles of strategic planning and establishment of goals and objectives
- Define and describe business case components and key financial formulas
- Demonstrate how to create a clear and compelling business case by using a group case study exercise
- Show how to create a balanced project-portfolio by using real spreadsheets based on figures from The Standard for Portfolio Management — Fourth Edition
- Use the tools demonstrated in class to make decisions regarding the case study project portfolio example
PDU Allocation Table