New - Power and Influence - Mastering Organizational Politics to Deliver Successful Projects with Vijay Verma
DescriptionTopics: Influencing | Change Management | Negotiation
Ignoring the external and internal politics surrounding your project can be hazardous. The more power you have and know how to use it, better you are able to get things done. Most project managers have enormous responsibility but not enough formal authority. Successful project managers must understand the dynamics of power and politics and the importance of managing stakeholders through leadership and influence.
The Art of Positive Politics will focus on practical techniques to increase the overall performance of people in the organization. Power is a key factor for managing politics effectively. Analyze the political landscape in your organizations and learn how to stop being naïve, protect yourself from “sharks”, learn to be politically sensible, and convert your adversaries and opponents into your allies.
Understand the five categories of stakeholders and uncover ways to manage politics at the project level and at the upper management levels. In this highly interactive session, you will evaluate, improve, and discover strategies to increase your total power. You will understand the important keywords for positive and negative politics; identify three political positions; develop strategies to manage five categories of stakeholders; and increase your overall leadership effectiveness. You will learn many practical tips to create a climate of more collaboration, teamwork, synergy, commitment and motivation for getting things done and leading people to their peak performance by using the art of positive politics.
What You Will Learn
- Identify eight sources of power, evaluate your own power level, and develop strategies to increase your power and influence.
- Describe key words for negative and positive politics and learn the art of using positive politics to deliver successful projects.
- Analyze the political landscape, identify three political positions, and develop strategies to convert your adversaries and opponents into your allies.
- Identify five categories of stakeholders based on dimensions of trust and agreement and develop strategies to manage your stakeholders effectively.
- Develop strategies to manage politics effectively at the upper management level and at the project level to deliver successful results.
PDU Allocation Table
Preliminary Course Outline
Day 1: Power and Influence: Eight sources of power; formal/informal power; characteristics and outcomes of power; project manager and power; evaluate your power level, and develop strategies to increase your total power.
About Politics (Setting the stage): Importance and dynamics of politics; why do we have politics;
Day 2: Analyzing political landscape: Two types of politics (Negative and Positive) with important keywords, Ten Commandments of Positive Politics, Analysis of political landscape in your organization; understanding three political positions; political behaviors of stakeholders and how to manage them effectively.
Managing Politics using The Art of Positive Politics: Trust and Agreement Model to identify five categories of stakeholders; strategies to convert your adversaries and opponents into your allies; and managing politics at the upper management level and at the project level.