Passports and Visas

Entry into the United States


Visitors traveling to the United States are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S. For a list of countries exempt from the six month rule, see Six Month Club. (Six Month Club validity on your passport does not apply to U.S. Citizens returning to the United States.)


Please check the U.S. Department of State for the most current information about traveling to the United States, applying for/obtaining visas, average wait times for visas, frequently asked questions, etc.

  • Visa Wizard - a guide to help foreign citizens understand which visa category might be appropriate for their travel to the United States. A foreign national or alien entering the U.S. is generally required to present a passport and valid visa issued by a U.S. Consular Official, unless they are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, or are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a citizen of Canada. The Visa Waiver Program allows foreign nationals from certain countries to be admitted to the U.S. under limited conditions and for a limited time without obtaining a visa.
  • The foreign national must arrive on an approved carrier (if coming by air or sea), staying no more than 90 days, for pleasure/medical purposes/business, and be able to prove they are not inadmissible. The foreign national is still required to have a passport. To obtain a list of countries eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, please reference the Department of State Website. For VWP passport requirements, see VWP-eligible passport.
  • A visa and passport are not required of a Mexican national who is in possession of a Form DSP-150, B-1/B-2 Visa and Border Crossing Card*, containing a machine-readable biometric identifier, issued by the Department of State and is applying for admission as a temporary visitor for business or pleasure from contiguous territory by land or sea. Mexican citizens using the Border Crossing Card may only travel 25 miles into the U.S. — except in the Nogales/Tucson area, where travel to Tucson is authorized.

*The Border Crossing Card (BCC) is acceptable as a stand-alone document (by itself) only for travel from Mexico by land, or by pleasure vessel or ferry. Together with a valid passport, though, it meets the documentary requirements for entry at all land, air, and sea ports of entry (to include travel from Canada). Note: You must be a Mexican citizen and a resident of Mexico to have a BCC.

NOTE: All travelers transiting the United States are subject to the U.S. customs/immigration laws.

Embassy "Letter of Invitation"

During the online registration process, you will have the option to request an Embassy Letter. You will receive the letter via email 24-48 hours after you complete and pay for your registration. If you choose to pay by check, wire transfer or purchase order as your method of payment, you will receive an email notifying you to pay, with instructions on how to make your payment. Once payment is received, you will receive your letter via email in 24-48 hours.

In order to request an Embassy Letter, you will be required to submit the following information:

  1. Passport Expiration Date (MM/DD/YYYY)
  2. Country of Issue

If you registered using a paper form and indicated that you require an Embassy Letter, you will be sent a confirmation email within 10 days of receiving your completed form with any further instructions/information required. Please keep this delay in mind when planning your travel to LIM. In addition to the information requested above, please be prepared to provide:

  1. Full name of person registered (last name as it appears in passport / first and middle names in full)
  2. Full personal address / phone / fax / e-mail
  3. Purpose of attending this PMI event, including whether you/they are either a committee member, speaker or presenter
  4. Any other unique information required by the embassy (total costs of event, name of in-country sponsor, etc.)

If you have questions about an Embassy Letter you may contact PMI recommends that all Embassy Letter requests be made by 6 weeks from the start date of the event.

Note—refunds due to being denied a visa will only be honored if PMI is notified of the denial no later than two weeks prior to the event start date.