Public Speaking Strategies: Preparing Effective Speeches
The phrase natural born speaker is misleading. While some people are more outgoing and conversational, a well-delivered speech is far from being spontaneous or natural. In fact, effective public speaking requires significant planning and preparation. Like cooking, driving, or playing a sport, it's a learnable skill. This course teaches you how to prepare for public speaking, including determining your objective and audience profile, choosing your topic, and defining the theme of your speech. This course also covers best practices to follow when planning, researching, and writing your speech. These include identifying key points, looking at the topic from different perspectives, and structuring your speech into logical sequence. Finally, the course explores the importance of practicing your speech to become familiar and comfortable with it, using techniques such as getting feedback from a trial audience, and taping yourself when practicing.
What You Will Learn
- select a suitable topic for a speech, in a given scenario
- recognize the preparations you need to make prior to giving a speech
- recognize good practice for researching a speech
- sequence the steps for writing a speech in a given scenario
- identify how to practice a speech