PMI Standards Updates
We strive to bring you standards that reflect the most up-to-date practices in the professions of project, program and portfolio management. That is why we perform regular updates to all of our standards products.
Use this page to learn about what’s coming as well as to access and comment on exposure drafts.
Now Closed: The Standard for Business Analysis and The PMI Guide to Business Analysis
PMI recognizes that business analysis is a critical competency of project, portfolio and program management, which is why we’re launching our first ever foundational standard and body of knowledge in this topic.
The exposure draft is now closed. Thanks to everyone who participated.
The Standard for Business Analysis covers fundamental concepts, such as the relationship of business analysis to project management, organizational strategy, and more. It also includes information on business analysis roles, differing project life cycles, and diverse stakeholders.
The Guide to Business Analysis is a body of knowledge that provides an in-depth discussion of the context, environment and influences on business analysis.
The PMI Guide to Business Analysis (Includes the Standard for Business Analysis) is scheduled for publication in Q4 2017.
- The PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition will be published both online and in print in American English and 10 additional languages simultaneously in the third quarter of 2017.
- We also have plans to create a new practice guide on agile.
- The Standard for Program Management – Fourth Edition will be published in the third quarter of 2017.
- The Standard for Portfolio Management – Fourth Edition will be published in the fourth quarter of 2017.
Agile comes to the PMBOK® Guide
The Sixth Edition of our flagship standard and body of knowledge, The PMBOK® Guide, is scheduled for publication later this year.
New to the Sixth Edition, each knowledge area will contain a section entitled Approaches for Agile, Iterative and Adaptive Environments, describing how these practices integrate in project settings.
Detail on agile and other adaptive and iterative approaches will also be included in an appendix.
Other content enhancements include:
- More emphasis on strategic and business knowledge, including discussion of project management business documents.
- Information on the PMI Talent Triangle™ and the essential skills for success in today’s market.