PMI Research Achievement Award
The PMI Research Achievement Award recognizes and honors an individual or group of individuals whose work has significantly advanced the concepts, knowledge, and practices of project management through a published body of academic research.
The call for nominations for the 2019 PMI Research and Academic Awards is now closed. The 2020 nomination cycle will open in late 2019.
Guidelines and Nomination Procedures
- The nominee(s) must have made a significant contribution to the advancement of the field of project management through academic research.
- The nominee(s) is not required to be a PMI member.
- The nominee(s) may work in any type of organization: corporate, government, nonprofit, or academic.
- Sitting members of PMI’s Board of Directors may not participate in the nomination or evaluation process and are ineligible to receive this award.
- Current sitting members of PMI’s Academic Member Advisory Group are ineligible to receive this award during their tenure on the AMAG.
- Current PMI staff and consultants.
- Individuals who have failed to comply with PMI policies and procedures, including but not limited to PMI's Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, will not be considered.
Number of Awards
- Only one PMI Research Achievement Award will be granted annually.
- PMI reserves the right not to select a recipient for a particular year.
The nominee shall have met the following criteria:
Criterion 1: The nominee must have significantly advanced the concepts, knowledge, and practices that contribute to the project management field through a published body of academic research.
Criterion 2 (Scientific Contribution): The research must have an enduring theoretical, empirical, or practical value.
Role of the Nominator
- The nominee must be nominated by one or more persons, one of whom must be a current PMI member in good standing.
- When more than one person supports the nomination, a Lead Nominator must be designated who:
- Ensures all nominators sign the nomination letter.
- Assembles and submits the nomination.
Nomination Procedures and Content
The nomination must contain the following:
- A title page of no more than 1 page that identifies all materials accompanying the nomination.
- The nominee’s CV with complete list of publications.
The nomination letter (no more than 2 pages) must:
- Identify the body of research on which the nomination is based and describe its contribution toward advancing the field of project management.
- State any direct personal or professional relationship with the nominee.
- Contain the signature of the nominator(s).
Nominations will not be reviewed if:
- Written in a language other than English
- Nomination Package is incomplete
- Received after the 1 March submission deadline
Nominations are to be at https://pmi.submittable.com/submit by 1 March.
Verification and Selection
PMI Academic Programs will:
- Verify the nominee’s eligibility and that all required materials have been submitted.
- Confirm receipt and eligibility of the nomination.
- Administer the review process and notify the nominator of the result.
- Distribute and collect required paperwork, including PMI release and permissions forms, from the selected nominee.
Nominations are reviewed and scored by a peer review panel. The evaluation process is proprietary to PMI.
Presentation of the Award
- The PMI Research Achievement Award will be presented at a designated project management event.
- The award recipient will be publicized through PMI communication channels and external media after the presentation of the award. The recipient may also coordinate additional publicity with PMI after the presentation of the award.
- PMI reserves the right within its sole discretion, and at any time up to the time of the presentation of the award, to determine that a candidate is or has become ineligible for the award. In any such case, PMI will notify the candidate of its decision as soon as possible prior to the award presentation.
- Please send all inquiries to Cristina Olaru, Academic Programs Specialist, at Cristina.Olaru@pmi.org.