PMI Linn Stuckenbruck Teaching Excellence Award
The PMI Linn Stuckenbruck Teaching Excellence Award recognizes and honors an individual faculty member for excellence in teaching project management, and for their strong commitment to improving and enhancing project management curricula in higher education.
The award is named in honor of Dr. Stuckenbruck, who served as Secretary on the PMI Board of Directors and received the Distinguished Service Award in 1980. He contributed to management and technical journals, wrote chapters for five published books, and presented papers at many professional society meetings. He also authored books and handbooks, including The Implementation of Project Management: The Professional's Handbook.
The call for nominations will open 1 December 2022 and close 15 March 2023.
Guidelines and Nomination Procedures
- The nominee holds a faculty rank in an accredited university or has been an adjunct faculty for at least three years on a continuous basis prior the application.
- The nominee must be the sole instructor or the instructor teaching at least 75% of the content in credit-bearing courses in the case of team teaching.
- The nominee may teach either at the undergraduate or graduate level. The courses should be focused on project management.
- The nominee is not required to be a PMI member.
- Sitting members of PMI’s Board of Directors may not participate in the nomination or evaluation process and are ineligible to receive this award.
- Sitting members of PMI’s Academic Insight Team (AIT).
- Current PMI staff and consultants.
- Previous recipients of the PMI Linn Stuckenbruck Teaching Excellence Award.
- Individuals who have failed to comply with PMI policies and procedures, including but not limited to PMI's Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct.
Number of Awards
- Only one PMI Linn Stuckenbruck Teaching Excellence Award will be granted annually.
- PMI reserves the right not to select a recipient for a particular year.
- Criterion 1: The nominee has demonstrated excellence in teaching.
- Criterion 2: The nominee has demonstrated successful innovation in curriculum development or enhancement over the years.
- Criterion 3: The nominee has demonstrated successful delivery of the project management knowledge.
- Criterion 4: The nominee has demonstrated engagement of students in the learning process and independent thinking.
Role of the Nominator
- The nominee must be nominated by one or more persons.
- When more than one person supports the nomination, a Lead Nominator must be designated who assembles and submits the nomination.
Nomination Procedures and Content
- A Curriculum Vitae (not to exceed 10 pages) focused on the nominee’s teaching, educational leadership, achievements and other contributions to teaching and learning, as distinct from a standard CV pertaining to the nominee’s field of expertise.
- The nominee’s university website link and the related page of the website.
- The names of relevant project management courses (with university assigned course IDs) taught and the link to university website for the course.
- Description of nominee's teaching in the past three years and demonstration of the changes and innovations in teaching.
- Nominee’s teaching philosophy (maximum 500 words).
- The most recent detailed course syllabus. The syllabus should include the course content, course delivery method, and the course evaluation method.
- The nomination may contain information related to multiple courses taught by the nominee. In such a case, a narrative should be included highlighting the specific and related aspects of those courses.
- Other artifacts may be submitted (such as a 3 minute video of a class lecture and interactions, session plan, innovative teaching process, and teaching evaluations). In such a case, a narrative should be included highlighting the specific aspects of those artifacts.
- Three Letters of Support (1 page maximum each) The support letters can be written by a student (or from a student club), an alumna/alumnus, a peer faculty member, peer teaching evaluation body of the university or anybody familiar with the teaching of the nominee. The letter of support should contain the following:
- Evidence of the success of the nominee’s teaching
- Specific examples showing the nominee’s fulfilment of the award criteria.
- One letter of recommendation must come from the department chair or program director of the division in which the nominee teaches or the dean of the college.
- All letters should be signed and dated.
- Nominations will not be reviewed if:
- Any part of the application is written in a language other than English
- Nomination package is incomplete
- Received after the submission deadline
- Nominations are to be submitted online by 15 March.
Verification and Selection
PMI Academic Programs will:
- Verify the nominee’s eligibility and that all required materials have been submitted.
- Confirm receipt and eligibility of the nomination.
- Administer the review process and notify the nominator of the result.
- Distribute and collect required paperwork, including PMI release and permissions forms, from the selected nominee.
Nominations are reviewed and scored by a peer review panel. The evaluation process is proprietary to PMI.
Presentation of the Award
- The PMI Linn Stuckenbruck Teaching Excellence Award will be presented at a designated project management conference. The nominator and the nominee will be informed in advance.
- The award recipient will be publicized through PMI communication channels and external media after the presentation of the award. The recipient may also coordinate additional publicity with PMI after the presentation of the award.
- PMI will not reimburse any expense for assembling the nomination or presentation materials.
- PMI reserves the right within its sole discretion, and at any time up to the time of the presentation of the award, to determine that a candidate is or has become ineligible for the award. In any such case, PMI will notify the lead nominator and the candidate of its decision as soon as possible prior to the award presentation.
- Please send all inquiries to [email protected]