Today, Project Management Institute (PMI) announced the winners of the 2019 PMI® Awards during a gala at the 2019 PMI® Global Conference – North America in Philadelphia, PA.
The PMI Awards Gala and dinner is an annual celebration of project, program, and portfolio management – and the industry stars who are not only changing the profession and their organizations, but enabling the evolution of their communities and the business landscape. Based on nominations from our global membership, PMI and the PMI Educational Foundation honored those who represent the best of the best from across the world of project management.
Since 1974, the prestigious PMI Professional Awards have honored organizations and individuals whose passion, talent, and expertise have made the greatest contributions to the project management profession or to PMI. PMI Research and Academic Awards recognize those who have made sustained or significant contributions through research or literature. PMI Educational Foundation Awards recognize the outstanding contributions of project managers and students.
PMI Professional Awards
PMI Project of the Year – This award recognizes the large and complex project that best delivers superior performance of project management practices, superior organizational results, and positive impacts on society with a project budget of more than US$100 million.
- Winner: E190-E2 Program Development, Embraer (São José dos Campos, São Paulo, Brazil)
- Finalist: AZUR Project - New Montréal métro cars, Société de Transport de Montréal (Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
- Finalist: Bassein Development Project, L&T Hydrocarbon Engineering Ltd (Mumbai, India)
PMI Project Excellence Award – This award recognizes complex projects that best deliver superior performance of project management practices, superior organizational results, and positive impacts on society with a project budget of less than US$100 million.
- Asia Pacific Region: Resolving Disputes Digitally (ODR Pilot Program), The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia)
- Europe, Middle East, Africa Region: The Launch of the NEW Distribution Center for NEUCA in Torún, NEUCA Group (Torún, Poland)
- North America Region: Remote-Handled Low-Level Waste Disposal Project, Idaho National Laboratory (Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA)
PMI Fellow Award – This is the highest and most prestigious individual award presented by the Project Management Institute for service to the organization and profession.
- Ricardo Triana, PMP, PMI Fellow
- Al Zeitoun, Ph.D., M.Sc., PMI-RMP, PMI-SP, PMP, PgMP, PMI Fellow
PMI Eric Jenett Project Management Excellence Award – This award recognizes and honors an individual who has made an outstanding contribution(s) to the project management profession or its practice through leadership, technical project management, and strategic and business management acumen.
- Frank Parth, MBA, MS, MSSM, PMP
- Carl L. Pritchard, PMI-RMP, PMP
- Lt Col L Shri Harsha, Retd, PMP, PgMP
PMI Young Professional Award – This award recognizes and honors young professionals who have made a significant impact in advancing project management within an organization, advancing the knowledge and understanding of the practice of project management, and demonstrating an understanding of PMI standards, practices and ethics.
- Taiwo Abraham, MBA, ITIL, LSSGB, PRINCE2, SMC, PMP
- Ramin Faraji, MSc. PMP
- Kamil Mroz
PMI Research & Academic Awards
PMI Scholar Practitioner Award – This award recognizes and honors an individual or group of individuals for excellence in the conduct of academic research and the adoption or adaptation of research into practice.
- Dr. Terry Cooke-Davies
PMI Project Management Journal Paper of the Year Award – This award recognizes the best paper published in the Project Management Journal in the previous year.
- “Coordinating Knowledge Work in Multiteam Programs: Findings From a Large-Scale Agile Development Program”- Torgeir Dingsøyr, PhD, Nils Brede Moe, PhD, and Eva Amdahl Seim, PhD
PMI Linn Stuckenbruck Teaching Excellence Award – This award honors an individual faculty member for excellence in teaching project management and for their strong commitment to improving and enhancing project management curricula in higher education.
- Dr. Shizhao Ding
PMI Research Achievement Award – This award recognizes and honors an individual or group of individuals whose work has significantly advanced the concepts, knowledge, and practices of project management through a published body of academic research.
- Professor Bent Flyvbjerg
GAC Awards of Accreditation
The PMI Global Accreditation Center for Project Management Education Programs (GAC) is the world’s leading academic accreditation body for project management and related programs, accrediting degrees within universities around the globe.
This award recognizes a program’s commitment to educational quality. These GAC accredited programs have demonstrated that that they offer curricula that is relevant, student-focused and accountable. Graduates can be assured that they have the knowledge and skills to be successful professionals.
- Université du Québec à Montréal, School of Management, Canada
- Master's in Project Management - Professional Stream, Cooperative Stream, Research Stream
- Specialized Graduate Diploma in Project Management
- Stevens Institute of Technology - School of Business, United States
- MS Enterprise Project Management
- MBA with a concentration in Project Management
- MS Information Systems with a concentration in Project Management
- Tsinghua University, School of Civil Engineering, Department of Construction Management, China
- Bachelor of Science in Construction Management, BSc (CM)
- Master of Science in Real Estate and Construction, MSc (RE&C)
- Master of Engineering Management, MEM
- Master of Engineering in International Construction and Project Management, MEng (CPM)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Real Estate and Construction, Ph.D. (RE&C)
- British University in Dubai, Faculty of Business and Law, United Arab Emirates
- Portfolio of Postgraduate Project Management Programs
- Missouri State University Technology and Construction Management Department, United States
- Master of Science in Project Management
- The George Washington University, Department of Decision Sciences, United States
- Master of Science in Project Management
- El Bosque University, Engineering Faculty, Colombia
- Project Management Specialization
- Minnesota State University Moorhead, United States
- Bachelor of Science in Project Management
- Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh Business School, United Kingdom, Malaysia and United Arab Emirates
- Master of Science in Strategic Project Management
- Edith Cowan University, School of Business and Law, Australia
- Master of Project Management
PMI Educational Foundation Awards
PMIEF Kerzner Award for Excellence in Project Management – This award is sponsored by International Institute for Learning, Inc. (IIL) to recognize a project manager who most emulates the professional dedication and excellence of Harold Kerzner, PhD, MS, MBA.
- Tom Kasel, CSM, PMI-RMP, PMP
PMIEF James R. Snyder International Student Paper of the Year Award – This research paper award recognizes excellence in student development of original concepts in project management. Papers are selected based upon the research and creative effort that are best directed toward advancing the concepts, tools, and techniques of managing project-oriented tasks.
- Asia Pacific Region: Hentrick Eveluck, MBA, MPA
- North America Region: Adrien Vives, MSc
PMIEF Donald S. Barrie Award – This award sponsored by the former PMI Design-Procurement-Construction Specific Interest Group (DPC SIG) is a paper which advances the PMBOK® Guide in the field of design, procurement, and/or construction by providing a useful contribution to the engineering and construction industry.
- Angele Ndedi Edimo, MSPM, PMP
PMIEF Community Advancement Through Project Management Award – This award emphasized the pro bono contributions of project managers, through different categories, that increase the capacities of nonprofit/nongovernmental organizations.
- Individual Project Manager Category
- Project Manager: Michael O’Connor, PhD, MSPM, MSTM, MBA
- Nonprofit Partner: The Sanneh Foundation
- PMI Chapter Category
- PMI Chapter: PMI Alaska Chapter
- Nonprofit Partner: Camp Fire Alaska
Find the list of PMI's award winners: https://www.pmi.org/about/awards/winners