Current PMI Standards Projects
As the project management profession evolves, we continue to expand and update our library of standards.
Standards development activities
PMI’s standards are developed through a voluntary consensus process. This process brings together volunteers and subject matter experts with an interest in the standards’ topics.
- Write the standard’s content, taking into consideration recommendations from the previous edition, market and other survey results, and new developments in project management.
- Track disposition of all exposure draft comments, suggestions, and feedback, including any appeals and their resolution, with the assistance of PMI staff.
- Review all text and graphics in the standard to make sure the information is clear, complete and relevant, revising as necessary.
- Ensure that the content is harmonized with any other relevant PMI standards.
- Prepare a report with a recommendation to the standards manager for concepts, approaches and tools that may be candidates for inclusion in future editions.
PMI standards participation
PMI’s standards process relies on public feedback, so it’s only fitting that we give you multiple ways to contribute to the development of our standards.
Standards Program Working Sessions feature breakout discussions on two to three topics. Each is facilitated by committee members who need your ideas and feedback. Volunteers can even earn professional development units (PDUs) for participating. Sessions are held periodically at PMI’s North America and EMEA global congresses.
PMI exposure drafts are a critical component in reaching consensus among the many stakeholders of our standards: These include, but are not limited to, the committee, PMI members and project, program and portfolio professionals worldwide.
Exposure drafts are available for 30 days. You can download and print a copy or read it directly online, and then input your recommendations. Access the current exposure drafts.
If you have an idea for a new project for PMI Standards, download and submit the Project Proposal Form.
Visit our volunteer opportunities page for more ways to participate.
PMI standards meetings
PMI standards are developed through a volunteer consensus process that includes committee meetings, and is part of ANSI compliance. View a list of the upcoming meetings.