PMI Project of the Year Award
The PMI Project of the Year Award is to recognize, honor, and publicize a successful project and the achievements of the project team for superior performance of project management.
The Call for Nominations opens 1 November 2013; the submission deadline is 1 April 2014. Please revisit this site on 1 November when the 2014 application forms and resource links will be activated.
- The nominated project can be of any type or industry, from either the public or private sector.
- Nominated projects from throughout the world are encouraged to participate.
- The project must be perceived as having exemplarily applied project management principles and techniques.
- PMI affiliation is not necessary.
- The nomination must be received no later than one year after the project is completed.
- Previous PMI Project of the Year Award recipients have had project budgets exceeding US $100 million.
- Sitting members of PMI’s Board of Directors may not participate in the nomination or evaluation process of this award, nor are members of the Board eligible to receive this award.
- Individuals or organizations that have failed to comply with PMI policies and procedures, including but not limited to PMI's Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, will not be considered.
- A project that has either won or competed for a PMI Distinguished Project Award is not eligible for the PMI Project of the Year Award. However, the project may have won awards or other recognition from other professional associations, including awards from PMI chapters. If a chapter holds its own Project of the Year contest, all nominations are eligible to be submitted by the chapter or independently after the chapter contest to the PMI Professional Awards Program’s PMI Project of the Year Award competition if it meets the criteria outlined in the award description. Winning other awards is not a criterion for this award.
- Failure to provide the necessary permissions and releases will eliminate the PMI Project of the Year Award nomination from consideration.
For More Information
Detailed information on this award’s criteria, nomination procedures and nomination requirements will be available 1 November when the 2014 Nominations forms and resource links will be activated. Click on our frequently asked questions for more information.
Recipients of the PMI Project of the Year Award
2012: Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility Operations Phase, Hermiston, Oregon, USA
Submitted by Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility URS and the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency
2011: Prairie Waters Project, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Submitted by City of Aurora - Aurora Water & CH2M Hill, Inc.
2010: National Ignition Facility Project, Livermore, California, USA
Submitted by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
2009: Newmont TS Power Plant Project
Submitted by Fluor Enterprises, Inc. and Newmont Nevada Energy Investment, Ltd.
HATCH, LTD - The QIT-Fer et Titane plant kept up business as usualeven as a project teamworked behind the scenes to boost production by more than 20 percent.
2007: FLUOR CORPORATION - Fluor closed a Cold War nuclear facility in less time and with less money than anyone thought possiblebut first the company had to gain the trust of the community. Submitted by: PMI Southwestern Ohio Chapter See MORE.
2006: KAISER-HILL CO. LLC for the U.S. Department of Energy Rocky Flats Closure Project
Submitted by: PMI Mile Hi Chapter
2005: QUARTIER INTERNATIONAL De MONTREAL PROJECT
Submitted by: PMI Montreal Chapter
2004: HARADH GAS PLANT PROJECT
Submitted by: Saudi Aramco
2003: SALT LAKE OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES OF 2002
Submitted by: Salt Lake Organizing Committee (SLOC)
2002: HAWIYAH GAS PLANT PROJECT.
Submitted by: Saudi Aramco
2001: MOZAL SMELTER PROJECT.
Submitted by: SNC Lavalin and Murray & Roberts
2000: TROJAN REACTOR VESSEL PROJECT
Submitted by: Portland General Electric Company
1999: QATARGAS LNG PLANT.
Submitted by: Chiyoda Corporation
1998: MARS PATHFINDER.
Submitted by: Jet Propulsion Laboratory
1997: ADVANTIX, ADVANCED PHOTO SYSTEM.
Submitted by: Eastman Kodak Company
1996: 1 B PROCESSOR STORY.
Submitted by: Lucent Technologies
1995: BENFIELD COLUMN REPAIR PROJECT.
Submitted by: Sastech Engineering Services
1994: LOGAN EXPANSION PROJECT.
Submitted by: Fluor Daniel, Inc.
1993: METRO RED LINE SEGMENT 1 PROJECT.
Submitted by: Rail Construction Corporation
1992: ATIGUN MAINLINE REROUTE PROJECT.
Submitted by: Alaska Pipeline Service Company
1991: NEW PROPYLENE/POLYPROPYLENE FACTORY FOR SASAL CHEMICAL INDUSTRIES (PTY) LTD.
Submitted by: Sastech
1990: LIMERICK GENERATING STATION UNIT 2
Submitted by: Philadelphia Electric Company
1989: DELTA AIRLINES TERMINAL 5 EXPANSION AT LAX