PMI Project of the Year Award
The PMI Project of the Year Award recognizes the large and complex project that best delivers:
- Superior performance of project management practices
- Superior organizational results
- Positive impacts on society
Number of Awards
- One recipient and two finalists will be awarded annually.
- PMI reserves the right not to select any recipients for a particular year if the evaluations performed indicate that nominations do not meet the stated criteria.
- Project budget must be greater than $100 million US dollars.
- Project of any type, from any industry, in public or private sectors.
- Project from any geography in the world.
- The project must have been completed no more than 18 months before the application deadline.
- A project which has either won or has been previously nominated for the PMI Project of the Year Award or the PMI Award for Project Excellence.
- Nominations must be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received by the application deadline.
- One Lead Nominator shall be designated with whom PMI will communicate regarding the nomination.
- The Lead Nominator does not require PMI affiliation.
- The Lead Nominator shall submit the PMI Project of the Year Award Application document addressing each of the criteria in two pages or fewer and listing the relevant criteria title and description at the top of each page.
- All submitted material shall not exceed twenty pages.
- The Lead Nominator shall ensure that all documentation is accurately completed and submitted. Incomplete nomination packages will not be evaluated.
- Please review PMI General Submission Guidelines.
Nomination Package Content
The nomination package, consisting of no more than 20 pages, shall contain:
- The PMI Project of the Year Award Application document addressing each of the criteria that must be met (no more than 2 pages per criteria).
- PMI Permissions and Release Form signed by the nominee - not counted toward the page count maximum.
- PMI Contact Information Form – not counted toward the page count maximum.
For More Information
Click on our frequently asked questions for more information.
Recipients of the PMI Project of the Year Award
WINNER - El Segundo Coke Drum Reliability Project, El Segundo, California, USA
Submitted by: Chevron
FINALIST - Oregon Transportation Investment Act III State Bridge Delivery Program (OTIA), Oregon, USA
Submitted by: Oregon Transportation, HDR, Inc. and Fluor
FINALIST - River Corridor Base Scope Project, Richland, Washington, USA
Submitted by: Washington Closure Hanford, LLC
2014: AP60 Phase 1 Project, Jonquiere, Quebec, Canada
Submitted by SNC-Lavalin-Hatch-Rio Tinto Alcan
2013: Adelaide Desalination Project Adelaide, Australia SA Water Corporation
2012: Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility Operations Phase, Hermiston, Oregon, USA
Submitted by Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility URS and the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency
2011: Prairie Waters Project, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Submitted by City of Aurora - Aurora Water & CH2M Hill, Inc.
2010: National Ignition Facility Project, Livermore, California, USA
Submitted by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
2009: Newmont TS Power Plant Project
Submitted by Fluor Enterprises, Inc. and Newmont Nevada Energy Investment, Ltd.
HATCH, LTD - The QIT-Fer et Titane plant kept up business as usualeven as a project teamworked behind the scenes to boost production by more than 20 percent.
2007: FLUOR CORPORATION - Fluor closed a Cold War nuclear facility in less time and with less money than anyone thought possiblebut first the company had to gain the trust of the community. Submitted by: PMI Southwestern Ohio Chapter See MORE.
2006: KAISER-HILL CO. LLC for the U.S. Department of Energy Rocky Flats Closure Project
Submitted by: PMI Mile Hi Chapter
2005: QUARTIER INTERNATIONAL De MONTREAL PROJECT
Submitted by: PMI Montreal Chapter
2004: HARADH GAS PLANT PROJECT
Submitted by: Saudi Aramco
2003: SALT LAKE OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES OF 2002
Submitted by: Salt Lake Organizing Committee (SLOC)
2002: HAWIYAH GAS PLANT PROJECT.
Submitted by: Saudi Aramco
2001: MOZAL SMELTER PROJECT.
Submitted by: SNC Lavalin and Murray & Roberts
2000: TROJAN REACTOR VESSEL PROJECT
Submitted by: Portland General Electric Company
1999: QATARGAS LNG PLANT.
Submitted by: Chiyoda Corporation
1998: MARS PATHFINDER.
Submitted by: Jet Propulsion Laboratory
1997: ADVANTIX, ADVANCED PHOTO SYSTEM.
Submitted by: Eastman Kodak Company
1996: 1 B PROCESSOR STORY.
Submitted by: Lucent Technologies
1995: BENFIELD COLUMN REPAIR PROJECT.
Submitted by: Sastech Engineering Services
1994: LOGAN EXPANSION PROJECT.
Submitted by: Fluor Daniel, Inc.
1993: METRO RED LINE SEGMENT 1 PROJECT.
Submitted by: Rail Construction Corporation
1992: ATIGUN MAINLINE REROUTE PROJECT.
Submitted by: Alaska Pipeline Service Company
1991: NEW PROPYLENE/POLYPROPYLENE FACTORY FOR SASAL CHEMICAL INDUSTRIES (PTY) LTD.
Submitted by: Sastech
1990: LIMERICK GENERATING STATION UNIT 2
Submitted by: Philadelphia Electric Company
1989: DELTA AIRLINES TERMINAL 5 EXPANSION AT LAX