PMI Project of the Year Award
The PMI Project of the Year Award is to recognizes, honor, and publicize a successful project and the achievements of the project team for superior performance of project management.
- Project budget must be more than $100 million US dollars.
- Projects of any type, from any industry, in public or private sectors.
- Projects from throughout the world.
- Projects that have demonstrated exemplarily application of project management principles and techniques.
- Project must be a first-time submission for a PMI global award.
- PMI affiliation is not necessary.
- Self-nomination by an eligible organization is permitted.
- The successful project may have been completed at any time. There is no calendar specification.
- Project budgets under $100 million US dollars.
- Phases of a project that have been successfully completed are not eligible for this award. The entire project or program being submitted must be complete before an application can be submitted.
- A project that has either won or competed for a PMI Award for Project Excellence (formerly PMI Distinguished Project Award) is not eligible for the PMI Project of the Year Award. However, the project may have won awards or recognition from other professional associations, including awards from PMI chapters. If a chapter holds its own Project of the Year contest, all nominations are eligible to be submitted by the chapter or independently after the chapter contest to the PMI Professional Awards Program’s PMI Project of the Year Award competition, if it meets the criteria outlined in the Application Document posted on our awards web page between 1 November and the submission deadline of 1 April. Winning other awards is not a criterion for this award.
For More Information
Detailed information on this award’s criteria, nomination procedures and nomination requirements will be available 1 November when the 2014 Nominations forms and resource links will be activated. Click on our frequently asked questions for more information.
Recipients of the PMI Project of the Year Award
2012: Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility Operations Phase, Hermiston, Oregon, USA
Submitted by Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility URS and the U.S. Army Chemical Materials Agency
2011: Prairie Waters Project, Aurora, Colorado, USA
Submitted by City of Aurora - Aurora Water & CH2M Hill, Inc.
2010: National Ignition Facility Project, Livermore, California, USA
Submitted by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
2009: Newmont TS Power Plant Project
Submitted by Fluor Enterprises, Inc. and Newmont Nevada Energy Investment, Ltd.
HATCH, LTD - The QIT-Fer et Titane plant kept up business as usualeven as a project teamworked behind the scenes to boost production by more than 20 percent.
2007: FLUOR CORPORATION - Fluor closed a Cold War nuclear facility in less time and with less money than anyone thought possiblebut first the company had to gain the trust of the community. Submitted by: PMI Southwestern Ohio Chapter See MORE.
2006: KAISER-HILL CO. LLC for the U.S. Department of Energy Rocky Flats Closure Project
Submitted by: PMI Mile Hi Chapter
2005: QUARTIER INTERNATIONAL De MONTREAL PROJECT
Submitted by: PMI Montreal Chapter
2004: HARADH GAS PLANT PROJECT
Submitted by: Saudi Aramco
2003: SALT LAKE OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES OF 2002
Submitted by: Salt Lake Organizing Committee (SLOC)
2002: HAWIYAH GAS PLANT PROJECT.
Submitted by: Saudi Aramco
2001: MOZAL SMELTER PROJECT.
Submitted by: SNC Lavalin and Murray & Roberts
2000: TROJAN REACTOR VESSEL PROJECT
Submitted by: Portland General Electric Company
1999: QATARGAS LNG PLANT.
Submitted by: Chiyoda Corporation
1998: MARS PATHFINDER.
Submitted by: Jet Propulsion Laboratory
1997: ADVANTIX, ADVANCED PHOTO SYSTEM.
Submitted by: Eastman Kodak Company
1996: 1 B PROCESSOR STORY.
Submitted by: Lucent Technologies
1995: BENFIELD COLUMN REPAIR PROJECT.
Submitted by: Sastech Engineering Services
1994: LOGAN EXPANSION PROJECT.
Submitted by: Fluor Daniel, Inc.
1993: METRO RED LINE SEGMENT 1 PROJECT.
Submitted by: Rail Construction Corporation
1992: ATIGUN MAINLINE REROUTE PROJECT.
Submitted by: Alaska Pipeline Service Company
1991: NEW PROPYLENE/POLYPROPYLENE FACTORY FOR SASAL CHEMICAL INDUSTRIES (PTY) LTD.
Submitted by: Sastech
1990: LIMERICK GENERATING STATION UNIT 2
Submitted by: Philadelphia Electric Company
1989: DELTA AIRLINES TERMINAL 5 EXPANSION AT LAX