Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)SM
Ready to apply? Register and log in to get started.
PMI’s Portfolio Management Professional (PfMP)SM credential recognizes the advanced experience and skill of portfolio managers. The PfMPSM demonstrates your proven ability in the coordinated management of one or more portfolios to achieve organizational objectives.
PfMP credential holders are responsible for the execution of the portfolio management process, communication around portfolio progress, and recommendations for action. Where project and program managers are responsible for “doing work right,” this is an ideal credential if you are responsible for ensuring your organization is “doing the right work.”
Who should apply?
If you’re a portfolio manager looking to demonstrate a proven ability to manage and align a portfolio of projects and programs to realize organizational strategy and objectives; increase your visibility and value with your organization; and separate yourself in the eyes of employers, the PfMP credential is right for you.
PfMP Eligibility Overview
To apply for the PfMP, you need to have either:
- A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree, or the global equivalent), with at least seven years (10,500 hours) of portfolio management experience within the past 15 consecutive years.
- A four year degree (bachelor’s degree or the global equivalent), with at least four years (6,000 hours) of portfolio management experience within the past 15 consecutive years.
- Since portfolio management focuses on strategic investment matters and high level organizational decisions, it is pertinent to have a foundation of professional business experience. All applicants must possess a minimum of eight years (96 months) of professional business experience.
- At this point, we encourage you to apply only if you plan to sit for the exam during the pilot testing period (dates below). If you are planning to sit for the exam at a later date, once the pilot has completed, then please apply closer to your testing timeframe.
- The PfMP pilot testing window has been extended! The pilot will now run through 28 February 2014, which will be the last opportunity to test during the pilot.
- Please consult the PfMP FAQs for more specific information about the certification pilot.
*These are expected timeframes and subject to change.
How to apply and prepare for the exam