PMI Award for Project Excellence
The PMI Award for Project Excellence recognizes complex projects that best deliver:
- Superior performance of project management practices
- Superior organizational results
- Positive impacts on society
The “Call for Nominations” begins 1 November each year. The deadline to submit nominations is as follows:
- 1 March – PMI Professional Awards (includes: PMI Project of the Year, PMI Award for Project Excellence, PMI Fellow Award, PMI Eric Jenett Project Management Award of Excellence, PMI Linn Stuckenbruck Person of the Year Award, and PMI Young Professional Award)
- Project budget must be less than US$100 million. Projects with a budget greater than $100 million should apply for the PMI Project of the Year Award.
- Project of any type, from any industry, in public or private sectors.
- Project from any geography in the world.
- The project must have been completed no more than 18 months before the nomination deadline.
- Eligibility differs for each award. PMI affiliation may or may not be required for a nominee, or nominated project.
- A project which has either won or has been previously nominated for the PMI Award for Project Excellence.
- Acts performed under contract to PMI, directly or indirectly, will not be considered.
- Current PMI staff, contractors and/or consultants are not eligible to apply for an award.
- Current sitting members of PMI’s Board of Directors, PMI Education Foundation’s Board of Directors, or any Board Support Committees may not participate in the nomination or evaluation process of an award, nor are those members eligible to receive an award.
- Individuals or organizations that have failed to comply with PMI policies and procedures, including but not limited to PMI's Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, will not be considered.
Number of Awards
- Recipients are selected by region with no more than the following for each region annually:
- North America – 2 winners
- Latin America – 1 winner
- Asia Pacific – 1 winner
- Europe, Middle East, and Africa – 1 winner
- PMI reserves the right not to select any recipients for a particular year if the evaluations performed indicate that nominations do not meet the stated criteria.
- The number of winners differs for each award.
- Submit the criteria in the order noted on the PMI Award for Project Excellence Application, listing the relevant criteria title and description at the top of each page, plus the other required information as outlined on this Submission Guidelines page.
- All submitted material must not exceed twenty pages (two page maximum per criteria).
- One Lead Nominator with whom PMI will communicate regarding the nomination shall be designated.
- The Lead Nominator does not require PMI affiliation.
- Please send all inquiries and entire nomination to email@example.com.
- There must be one designated Lead Nominator with whom PMI will communicate regarding the nomination.
- Lead Nominator’s responsibilities:
- Must have knowledge of the nominated project, or nominee and the project management principles applied.
- Must document any direct personal or professional relationship of the lead nominator to the nominated project or nominee.
- Must ensure the nomination package is complete at the time of submission; incomplete nomination packages will not be evaluated.
- Must review the specific eligibility, restrictions and content outlined on each award document.
- Must ensure the following documents are included with the submission. Failure to provide the necessary forms will eliminate the nomination from consideration.
- PMI Permissions and Release Form
The nominee/client/owner of any body of work being considered for a PMI Professional Award must complete and sign the form confirming whether he or she did, or did not, use any PMI trademark, logo or copyrighted content from any PMI publication. Usage will require permission from PMI in the form of a permission agreement or license available on PMI's Permissions page. The award nomination package must provide the PMI Permission Agreement Title or License Number in Box A of the PMI Permissions Form. If no PMI intellectual property has been used in the body of work being considered for a PMI Professional Award, please complete Box B on the PMI Permissions Form. Signing of the form also grants PMI the non-exclusive right to use any submitted copyrighted materials for any business-related purpose, including press releases, and other marketing and promotional materials, including but not limited to videos as well as case studies. Lead Nominators (unless you are also the nominee/client/owner of the body of work) must forward this form to the nominee and ensure that the nominee signs, dates, and returns the form that must be included in the nomination package. The form will not count toward the stated page count maximum.
- PMI Contact Information Form
This document lists the contact information for the lead nominator and other important contacts. This form, available on each awards web page, will not count toward the stated page count maximum.
- PMI Permissions and Release Form
- Nominations must be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received no later than the due date shown under “Nomination Deadline.”
- All submitted material must be in English with a minimum of a 10-pt. font, in 8 1/2” x 11” letter size or A4 format. Please use global English as PMI awards are evaluated by an international committee who may not be familiar with acronyms and terms from your organization, industry, or country.
- Specific submission and criteria page count maximums are outlined on each individual awards web page and application document. Nominations that exceed the documented page count maximum will not be evaluated. Nominations may include an option glossary of no more than 1 page.
- Any additional documentation in alternate media formats, such as multimedia, will not be evaluated.
- Nomination packages that are incomplete or are received after the nomination deadline will not be reviewed.
Nomination Package Content
All nominations must contain the following:
* These documents do not count toward the page count maximum.
Additional Nomination Package Content Details
- Nominations and all supporting material (if requested) must be in English.
- Supporting Documents (if applicable): Supporting documents (photographs, newspaper articles, organizational charts, etc.) count toward the page count maximum.
- Letters of support: Included in the page count maximum unless noted otherwise in the individual Awards Guidelines.
- Web Pages, Video, CDs: The criteria should be answered in the nomination; review of any web pages, video and/or CDs would be at the option of the evaluator unless specifically requested by the nominee in relation to the criteria.
- PMI may use submitted copyrighted materials for any business-related purpose, including press releases, and other marketing and promotional materials, including but not limited to videos as well as case studies.
- PMI will not reimburse any expenses for assembling the nomination package or for any presentation materials that may need to be created should the nomination be selected as a winner.
Verification, Evaluation, and Selection
- The PMI Professional Awards Staff will contact the Lead Nominator to confirm receipt and eligibility of the nomination package.
- The PMI Professional Awards Staff will verify the nominations eligibility.
- The PMI Professional Awards Staff will send the nomination package to a designated panel of evaluators, who are subject matter experts, for evaluation.
- The nominations, evaluation process, and scores are proprietary to PMI and will not be disclosed to nominators or nominees.
- The Lead Nominator and Nominee will be notified of the status of the nomination at the conclusion of the evaluation process.
- Selection and communication of nomination status must take place no later than the third quarter of the year.
In the Event of an Unsuccessful Nomination
- A new nomination package can be submitted in order for the nominee to be considered in subsequent years.
Presentation of the Award
- The PMI Professional Awards are presented at the PMI Global Conference in the fourth quarter. The PMO of the Year Award is presented at the PMO Symposium in the fourth quarter. The award winners will be presented a trophy. No cash awards are offered.
- PMI reserves the right within its sole discretion, and at any time up to the time of the presentation of the award, to determine that a nominee is or has become ineligible for the award. In any such case, PMI will notify the nominee and/or lead nominator of its decision as soon as possible prior to the award presentation.
- PMI reserves the right to rescind the award if it is discovered that any information submitted as false or misleading.
- The award winner will be publicized through PMI communication channels and external media after the presentation of the award. A winner may also coordinate additional publicity with PMI after the presentation event.
Thank you for your interest and support of the PMI Professional Awards Program.
Please direct all inquiries, comments, and nominations to email@example.com.