PMI Project Management Journal® Paper of the Year Award
The Project Management Journal® Paper of the Year Award recognizes the best paper published in the Project Management Journal in the previous year.
The award recognizes the significance of academic research in and the importance of refereed journal articles to the creation and dissemination of knowledge in the field of project management.
Selection of this awarded paper is peer reviewed, keeping to the tradition of all papers published in the Project Management Journal.
Guidelines and Nomination Procedures
All papers published in the Project Management Journal® in the previous calendar year are eligible for the award. No formal nomination is required.
- Sitting members of PMI’s Board of Directors are not eligible to receive the award and may not participate in the evaluation process.
- Papers authored by current PMI staff and consultants.
- Individuals or organizations that have failed to comply with PMI policies and procedures, including but not limited to PMI's Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, will not be considered.
Number of Awards
- In the case of multiple authors on a single paper, each author will be recognized.
- PMI reserves the right not to select a recipient or to give more than one award in a given year.
The following criteria will be considered in the evaluation process:
Criterion 1 (Publication Date): The paper must have been published in the Project Management Journal® during the previous calendar year.
Criterion 2 (Scientific Contribution): The paper must have made a significant scientific contribution to the field of project, program, or portfolio management.
Criterion 3 (Methodology): The methodology must be appropriate to the research question under investigation.
Criterion 4 (Methodological Rigor): The paper will be assessed on its methodological rigor.
Criterion 5 (Practical Relevance): With the exception of conceptual papers or those focused on theory building or adaptions, the practical relevance of research results will be considered.
- Papers are reviewed using the criteria outlined above.
- Papers are reviewed and scored by a peer review panel.
- The evaluation process is proprietary to PMI and will not be disclosed.
- The recipient(s) of the award and the Editor-In-Chief Project Management Journal® will be notified of the decision by PMI staff at the conclusion of the process.
Presentation of the Award
- The Project Management Journal® Paper of the Year Award will be presented at a designated project management academic event.
- The award will be publicized through PMI communication channels and external media after presentation of the award. The recipient may also coordinate additional publicity with PMI after the presentation of the award.
- PMI reserves the right within its sole discretion,and at any time up to the time of the presentation of the award,to determine that a candidate is or has become ineligible for the award. In any such case, PMI will notify the candidate of its decision as soon as possible prior to the award presentation.
- Please send all inquiries to Cristina Olaru, Academic Programs Specialist, at Cristina.Olaru@pmi.org.